Here's the deal: Vonage has a new international calling app, which is free to download. The app allows you to make calls internationally for low rates, using wi-fi. It's nice because you can call a land line in, say...ROMANIA from your cell phone, and you can do it rather cheaply. In fact, if you download the app right now, you get fifteen minutes of free international calls!
Seeing as my husband just so happens to be half-way around the globe at the moment (OMFG WHAT WAS THAT NOISE), I was able to put this app to the test. Aside from the awkward wrong-number in Germany moment that involved an eek-sorry-I-don't-know-what-you're-saying-BIIIYEEEE and omg-what-the-hell-did-she-just-call-me, I was pretty impressed with the overall process and service. My husband travels a lot, so we're old pros when it comes to Skyping. The down side with Skype, of course, was that we couldn't do it (heh) if he had crappy Internet service. And while I'm sure Romania is LOVELY, the Internet kind of blows. The call quality was slightly better than Skype, in my opinion, and since you can buy credit directly through your iTunes account, the whole damn set-up is very damn convenient.
So, to recap!
What is the Time to Call ™ App?
- FREE download
- No need to be a Vonage home customer!
- Pay per call and talk for up to 15 minutes to 100 countries for $1.99 or less (excluding applicable taxes)
- For an additional 90+ countries, talk up to 15-minutes for $2.99 to $9.99 (excluding applicable taxes)
- Bill directly to your iTunes account
- Works on Wi-Fi® worldwide
- Also for use on high quality 3G networks in the U.S. and Canada
- Special bonus! For a limited time, unused minutes can be used for additional calls.
- The Time to Call™ app for iPhone
- An iPhone with Wi-Fi or a high quality 3G connection in the U.S. or Canada
- Download the Time to Call™ app for iPhone
- Select the country you want to call
- Tap the Buy button on your screen and dial the number you want to call – no service plan is required and your call is billed directly to your iTunes account
- Call mobile or landline numbers and talk for up to 15 minutes
- For a limited time, each download includes a FREE call of up to 15 minutes to landlines and mobile phones in any one of 100 countries. Activate your FREE call to take advantage of this offer. No purchase necessary.
HERE'S HOW TO ENTER:
1. Leave a comment on this post telling me who you'd call. This can be funny, scandalous, or mundane. I don't care...just tell me how you'd be able to use the app (in reality or fantasy). (one entry)
2. Tweet about the contest! (Must include #timetocall hashtage AND a link back to this post.). Something like: I'm trying to win an iPad2 with @waitinthevan and Vonage #timetocall! http://bit.ly/mX7HB9. THEN! Come back and leave a link to that tweet in the comments. (You must do both to get the extra entry.) (one entry)
3. Like Wait in the Van on Facebook! (It's in a little box on the right hand side over there--->!) THEN! Come back and leave a link to your facebook page in the comments. (This must be separate from the Twitter comment) (one entry)
4. Follow Wait in the Van on Twitter! THEN! (OMFG, I know.) Come back and leave a comment with your twitter handle! (one entry)
5. And if you want to get yourself a bonus FIVE entries, create a twitpic, twitvid, or blog post of you downloading and/or using the Vonage Time to Call app. THEN! Come back and leave one more comment linking to that tweet or post. (five entries)
Got that? You can leave a total of five comments that will get you up to ten entries. Be sure to include your email when you enter, because if I have a hard time tracking you down, I'll liable to pass the prize along to someone else. (This is EXHAUSTING.)
Note: to make it easier to tally the winner, I'll delete comments that are not legitimate entries for the contest. It's not because I hate you. It's because this is complicated and I'm easily confused. AND! If any of your entries do not fulfill the requirements, they will not count. If you deliberately leave more than five comments TOTAL or try to enter the contest by duplicating entries, OR GENERALLY ACT SNEAKY AND SUCH, you will be eliminated from the contest altogether. Because, seriously, it's a bitch tallying this shit up SO DON'T MAKE THINGS DIFFICULT.
This contest is open to everyone! Even you international folk! It runs from the time this post is published--midnight on 8/24--to 11:59PM on 8/28. The prize will be in the form of $715 in iTunes gift cards. This is enough for you to buy one (1) iTunes gift card for $15 (to test out the service on your new device) and one (1) Apple gift card for $700 for the Apple iPad 2, 32 GB. If your country doesn't have access to iTunes, you'll get a PayPal transfer.
Want even more chances to win? Go check out http://www.callsfromsmartphone.com/ to find some of the other 75 sites that are also participating in the giveaway!
YAY! iPads! And Vonage! And free-to-cheap international calls!
Good luck, rockstars!
*Made ya look!