Then I found a site that let us be even more awkward in a trying-to-be-cool-but-stick-it-to-the-popluars kind of way: BlogHer at Home. I found some cool new blogs in the process, but couldn't bring myself to join the video chats. There's a reason why I blog, right? Antisocial comes to mind. Also, pimples. And pajamas.
But here's the thing: aside from when the Bloggess mentioned that she got to fondle Tim Gunn (dudes, I'd go transgender for him...well, maybe not. Can chicks be drag queens? I'd do that...maybe...), the tweets from these conference-goers were, like, ridiculous. (NO, fondling Tim Gunn is not ridiculous.)
In other words, there was a WHOLE LOTTA drama, guys! Like, weird, suggestive tweets that were ironic in a completely obvious and un-ironic manner! And people thanking others for NOT talking shit! And, like chatter about the coolest parties and hookups! Okay, maybe not the hookups. (Unless you count the Tim Gunn incident. Yes, I'm obsessed.)
Like, really? IT WAS A WRITING CONVENTION.
I still can't quite wrap my head around it. People are always all "Oh, high school drama! Glad I'm done with THAT." But really? Because apparently it's just "Oh, lifelong drama! Glad I'm engrossed in THAT." I don't know. Jealousy, self-esteem, money, talent. Sure, it's part of the game to harbor these emotions, but--am I crazy?--if there's an opportunity to learn from others, can't we push that shit aside? WE'RE GROWNUPS.
On a lighter note, ON TO THE SUPERLATIVES! I mean an AWARD for my
HardlyHearsHimself (dude, the name?) over at Conversations With Myself gave me this award. Which I like, because it includes the word "crap" in a non-technically kind of way. But also, let's throw out a disclaimer. I'm not sure this kid is 21 and yet he's too fond of alcohol. And the wacky-tabacky. And since I was AN ANGEL in my younger years, I can speak
With this award, you're supposed to reveal 10 things about yourself that NO ONE knows. Which, I'm not sure is possible. Because I don't do exciting things when I'm completely alone. And if I ever do, I pretty much always tell someone. Because I'm an attention-seeker like that. But I'll give it a go:
1. I have never made out with George Clooney. Or Brad Pitt, for that matter.
2. Last night, I walked up the hill behind my house, IN MY PAJAMAS, and told the douchebags with YOUNG CHILDREN to cease and desist the fucking RAVE they were holding in their garage. I guess I'm "that woman" now. I don't mind it, either.
3. I went to Spain in college and subsited on pastries for nearly 8 days. I came back a fatter, more worldly woman. I was also groped by an 8 year-old. I pretty much hate Spain.
4. I almost quit my job teaching to pursue music journalism in NYC. I'm glad that didn't work out. Seriously.
5. I have lots of good-for-the-planet shopping bags, but I ALWAYS forget to bring them to the grocery store. Heh.
6. I broke my finger in sixth grade while trying to catch a kick ball. I guess even the teacher thought it was the most ridiculous thing ever because he didn't let me go to the nurse. When I went to the doctor, they had to "break it back" the right way. He totally tricked me right before he did it ("I'm just going to check it; I won't hurt you.") and I pretty much think he should be stripped of his license. Still.
7. I hold onto grudges. I'm kind of into self-improvement. Even in book form. I guess I'm THAT woman, too.
8. I almost never brush my hair. I'm just recently realizing this might be another area for improvement.
9. After reading the first few chapters of Twilight, I'm realizing that I will never be willing to write bullshit in order to be rich and famous. Which kind of puts a kink in the ol' rich-and-famous plan because that's kind of all I can write.
10. You know when you bite your cheek or tongue accidentally? Yeah, well, I'm not sure how this is physically possible, but I tend do do that UNDER MY TONGUE. Like, I bite my tongue-pit. Heh.
Who else wants an award?! You pass it on to TEN other blogs, which is kind of excessive in my opinion, so I'm knocking it down to five (because, honestly, I've given away so many BS awards, that I'm going to start doubling up I fear.):
Mo "Mad Dog" Stoneskin He's such a funny storyteller. I think he's Australian? He was a Jelly Biter, too, people.
Mr. London Street This guy too, but also, the driest, side-splitting humor I've read in a long time. Those freaking Brits.
Diamond Pewpin' Carnivore Because we're Internet BFF's, natch.
White-Collar Redneck I've only recently become a reader of this site, but I was instantly hooked on his toothbrush manifesto. For real.
Yo Mama's Blog (Even though she made me kill my cat.)